Monday, October 29, 2007

week-end in Portland part - II

After a lovely breakfast at the Comfort Inn in Seaside we drove back to Cannon Beach. The reason we returned to Cannon Beach was to watch the artists at Icefire Studio. I found this studio last March on a business trip. At that time I purchased a small blue and green vase to add to my china hutch as a reminder of my Portland trip.

Before we left, I was agonizing over which piece to buy to add to my collection -- and the sales women working there realized my pain. Instead of helping, she told me she had another piece that Jim Kingwell had just finished that she thought I might like. She retrieved it from the back room and sure enough.......I loved it! Of course, I immediately told her I thought it might break the bank! Because I had been admiring one similar to it in blues and greens and it was $500! She said, "let me check with Jim, he is very reasonable". Ok, up to this point I had my eye on a bowl that was $140 and I thought for sure she would come back and tell me the price would be somewhere between $400 and $500 dollars! Instead she said $250! So......here is a picture of it! It looks great in the hutch......and I love the combination of orange and pink glass twisting together!

Watching them work was fascinating!


Of course, we couldn't leave the coast without one more walk on the beach. Katiana wasn't interested because it was windy and cold again. Look at how angry the sea was! It had been very stormy with high winds the day before we arrived. I love the sea!

7 comments:

amelia said...

that's a gorgeous piece, tasha. i can't wait to see it myself. and i'm beside myself with excitement that you'll be here in 3 short weeks! yay!

natasha said...

Yay!!! AND I just got us tickets to see WICKED!!! So excited!!!

zeeny said...

Fun! I want to see wicked! I love the colors of the glass...they almost look orange and red!

natasha said...

zeeny...the glass IS orange and pink.....very unique and I was told the two colors are difficult to work with......

WISH you could join us for WICKED!!

AnilĂș Magloire said...

What a great piece. I love hand blown glass!!

david santos said...

Hello, Natasha!
great photos, thank you.
have a good day

amelia said...

don't you think portland would be a great place for a girl trip, tasha? we could spend a few days in the city and then drive out to the coast for a couple days.

or we could meet at mom & dad's house in CA and drive up the CA coast to San Francisco and the redwoods.

it's about time, don't you think?