Thursday, October 25, 2007

A week-end in Portland - part I

We went to Portland! Mark, Katiana and me. Our purpose? The Holt Fontana Auction to raise money for the village in Haiti. I don't have the exact number yet but our educated guess is Holt raised approximately $150,000.00 Wahoo! I will write more about that in part III.

We arrived around 10:00 a.m. on Friday. Our plan was to drive out to the coast and stay a night allowing us to explore the Oregon coast on Friday and Saturday before the big event Saturday evening.

We rented our car, got some McDonald's, drove in and out of lots of rain while working our way out highway 6 - which dumped us right at the Tillamook Cheese Plant! We took a self guided tour of the cheese plant....which includes samples! Yummy. Of course they do more than cheese :) So, loaded with our driving snacks (beef sticks, cheese curds and water crackers) we decided to also *sample* the ICE CREAM before we hit the road.

The picture below is along highway 101 between Tillamook and Cannon Beach! It was cold, very windy and absolutely beautiful!

We made it to Cannon Beach driving in and out of LOTS of rain! Fortunately our beach time was free from rain! BUT....it was COLD and WINDY!!! We were trying to get a good picture of us with the rocks in the background........and, well - we just got this one instead - HAIR everywhere!
So we bagged the rocks and let the wind blow in our face instead!

This is one of my "do it myself pictures"! Not bad huh? You can't even tell I'm holding my arm out and taking a picture!

OK.....I just love this picture! Katiana has that smile and laugh that speaks volumes! I think the cold, the wind and the fact that we were "willingly" out exploring in it amused her!
Love the light in this fabulous picture! Mark kept teasing Katiana about her hair standing up! too cute!

Katiana has a way of making friends. She just walks up and smiles and instantly perfect strangers are asking if she would like to feed the birds too.








Ok......that was a bit CLOSE! All the while, I'm praying she doesn't get a yucky white "you know what" on her new coat -- or worse in her HAIR!

So much JOY!!!
This was a miracle.....for sure I thought the camera was going to be blown off the rock and in the sand!
Haystack rock at Cannon Beach, OR

5 comments:

amelia said...

looks fun! and i'm jealous you got to go to the northwest. if i don't end up in the northeast, i hope i end up in the northwest. i must have a thing for gray skies and green trees...

I am the Clay said...

Oh how beautiful!! I miss the ocean soooooo much...... being from WA state we would always vacation at the coast.... oh!

Katiana is a beautiful girl - her countance radiates...... you all look so happy! I am so glad you enjoyed this "get away" trip together!

Blessings,
gloria pickering

Wendy said...

What terrific photos!

AnilĂș Magloire said...

Wow! What a cool trip you guys took! I am dying to visit that part of the country.
Your pics are just beautiful!

zeeny said...

How fun. What is with going to beaches when it's cold though! It must follow us!